Carol Lovett posts some brilliant and delicious creations on her gluten-free lifestyle blog (see below), but her meat bagels might just be her greatest, so far! Not only are they delicious and easy to make, they're low-carb, too.
If you are looking for a no-wheat, zero carb version of a bagel that's still doughy, chewy, and dense, then this may not be exactly what you're after. BUT, if you want to be adventurous, this ring-shaped paleo-fied stand-in will be just the thing. Carol's recipe does include some diced onions and a bit of tomato sauce, so it's not 100% carb-free, but it's generally keto-friendly.
- 1 ½ onions, finely diced
- 1 tbsp of
- butter/grass fed ghee/bacon fat etc.
- 2 pounds of ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking dish (like this one) with parchment paper.
- Sauté the onions over medium heat with some cooking fat, like butter, grass fed ghee etc. Sauté until translucent. Allow the onions to cool before adding them to the meat.
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients including the cooked onions. Mix well enough to evenly distribute the spices.
- Divide the meat into 6 portions. Using your hands, roll a portion into a ball and then indent the middle, and flatten slightly to form the appearance of a bagel.
- Place the bagel looking meat in the dish and repeat with each of the portions of meat.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the meat is fully cooked.
- Allow the meat bagels to cool. Slice the meat bagel just like a regular bagel. Fill the meat bagel with your favorite keto-friendly goodies like avocado slices.
We know you'll have a new favorite item on the menu.
Check out Carol's site, DitchTheWheat to see her classy food photos and wheat-free recipes.
Hit Your Fat Burning Reboot Switch
Discover how to activate your body's “Reboot Switch” that flips on a fat burning inferno so you can finally achieve your weight loss goals!
Tired, Sleep Problems & Excess Fat?
There are 4 secrets being kept from you about why a modern diet is making us fatter, more tired & sick.
Discover how to activate your body's “Reboot Switch” that flips on a fat burning inferno so you can finally get healthy and achieve your weight loss goals!